Program Support Internship
Applications now closed
Role of Program Intern
The Australian Institute of International Affairs Victoria (AIIAV) Council has specific members responsible for the organisation of the program, totalling some 40-50 events per year. These events consist of speaking engagements open to both members and non-members, and delivered by a dynamic and broad cross-section of diplomats, academics, journalists and other experts. AIIA’s events are a unique opportunity for the public to engage in candid discussions with people who are shaping the world. The role of the Program Support Intern is to support the Program Committee in researching, organising and running these speaking engagements, and providing an ongoing plan for future speakers. A key element is writing the promotional flyers for events and preparing them for publication on the AIIAV website. The Program Support Intern is a vital part of the team.
Position title: Program Intern
Position remuneration: This is a work experience position. There is no remuneration allocated to this position.
Internship duration: Up to 6 months (any change with agreement of both parties)
Start date: Mid-end February 2017
Hours: 10 – 15 hours per week, including some evenings
Reports to: Council Member/Program Committee chair. The Program Support Intern liaises with the Executive Office and the Communications/Marketing Intern as required
- Drafting title and text for event flyers, and sourcing suitable images
- Preparing flyers for publication on the AIIAV website (using WordPress), and for distribution to members (using Mailchimp)
- Conducting speaker and topic research: research background information on speakers and topics and compile information from a wide range of news, magazine and video sources
- Assisting with various aspects of program planning such as preparing mailings, and compiling speaker biographies
- Compiling database and background of other suitable speakers for future events
- Staffing events: The Program Intern is expected to assist at least two events per month. Most events take place from 6:00-7:30pm, on a week night across Tuesday-Thursday.
- Attending bi-monthly Program Committee meetings (usually 5.45-6.45pm at Dyason House, 124 Jolimont Road, East Melbourne, VIC 3002)
- Ability to write concisely and creatively
- Strong interest in international relations issues
- Strong time management & planning skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Experience of WordPress or Mailchimp would be useful, but not essential as training will be given
Interns will meet at least once per month with the allocated Council member to assess performance and receive feedback.
Should performance be advised as sub-optimal and fail to improve after an opportunity to rectify performance, the AIIAV reserves the right to terminate the incumbent’s occupation of the Internship, effective immediately.
Work can be conducted both at home and at the AIIAV office in East Melbourne. The successful applicant will be required to use his or her own laptop. The exact hours and location of work will be determined once the successful candidate has been selected. These may vary depending on requirements at different stages of the internship.
Other benefits: AIIAV event attendance
Interns are encouraged and welcome to attend standard events free of charge, and each Intern is given a year’s free Membership following the successful completion of the Internship.
Applications now closed
General enquiries can be addressed to email@example.com