- Date Mon, 04 Nov 2019Time 18:00 – 19:30Location Government House, Hobart
Professor Peter Greste is an award-winning foreign correspondent who spent 25 years working for the BBC, Reuters and Al Jazeera in some of the world’s most volatile places. From Afghanistan, to Latin American, Africa and the Middle East, he reported from the frontlines and beyond, although he is best known for becoming a headline himself, when he and two of his colleagues were arrested in Cairo while working for Al Jazeera, and charged with terrorism offences. In letters smuggled from prison, he described the arrests as an attack on media freedom. The letters helped launch a global campaign that eventually got them released after more than 400 days in prison.
He has since become a vocal campaigner and advocate for media freedom – a stance that has earned him awards from Britain’s Royal Television Society, the Walkley Foundation, the RSL’s ANZAC Peace Prize, the Australian Human Rights Commission’s Human Rights Medal, and the International Association of Press Clubs’ Freedom of Speech Award. He has written...
- Go to www.govhouse.tas.gov.au and click on 'Events' in the ‘Tours and Events’ tab on the right hand side of the homepage menu. Then, select ‘Click to Book' for the Australian Institute of International Affairs event. You will be directed to the Government House Tasmania event on the Trybooking.com website.
- Enter the Invitation Code: GhLr19 (Do not try to copy it from this notice and paste). This will allow you access to continue your booking via the Trybooking website.(Note the Dress Code:Lounge Suit/Day Dress).
- Complete the booking as per the Trybooking website instructions. Tickets should be booked in the names of the guests who wish to attend. Generic bookings such as “Partner of Mr Bill Smith” are NOT acceptable. In the ‘‘Capacity in which attending’ box,, we would be grateful if guests would indicate the capacity in which they will be attending the reception e.g. : Organising Committee, Member, Supporter, Councillor, etc. Ticket(s) will be sent to the guest’s nominated email address.*
- Guests will need to print their ticket(s) and ensure that they bring it/them to Government House on the evening, or alternatively the ticket(s) can be scanned from your mobile phone.[If organisers are printing tickets on behalf of guests they MUST ensure the guests receive their tickets PRIOR to their arrival at Government House]
- The closing date for booking is 21st October, 2019 (6.00 pm).